Monday, November 8, 2010

Two Suppers and Frozen Green Beans

Last night I made squash cakes, and put them with leftover side dishes for a delicious veggie plate.  On the plate we had squash cakes, steamed joi choi, cherry tomato salad, parmesan mashed potatoes, and strawberries. Very filling veggie plate, even satisfied the husband.



Tonight, I made chicken over rainbow swiss chard with turnips au gratin. The chicken and swiss chard recipe is here, the turnips au gratin recipe is here. I was planning on making a turnip mash with some other root vegetables, but my husband specifically requested that I make the turnip au gratin. He rarely requests specific dishes, so we had it again. It did not disappoint.

I finally got around to freezing those beautiful green beans tonight. Here were the green beans as I got them from the CSA:

I washed the green beans, cut the ends off, and cut them into uniform sizes:

I blanched the green beans in salted water, boiling them for 3 minutes:

Then I drained them and immediately put them into ice water for 3 minutes:

Finally, I drained them again, patted them dry, and divided them into 3 bags. I then put the 3 smaller bags into a larger 1 gallon freezer bag, labeled and dated them, and put them into the freezer:


All I have left from last week's CSA: 3 tomatoes, 2 green bell peppers. I will make stuffed tomatoes tomorrow night and pair them with leftover chicken. I will eat the green bell peppers for lunch tomorrow and Wednesday.

Tomorrow night brings another CSA delivery!

No comments:

Post a Comment