Monday, November 15, 2010

Grilled Pork Loin with Roasted Root Vegetables

Tonight's Supper utilized several CSA ingredients: carrots, beets, radishes, and turnips.

Here are the ingredients for the roasted root dish:

Multi-colored carrots
turnips
radishes
beets
onion
garlic
olive oil
salt
pepper
roasted red pepper flakes

First, I peeled and chopped all the vegetables to about 1/4 inch slices. Then I drizzled a little olive oil on them, added salt and pepper and a few shakes of the roasted red pepper flakes:

Then I spread them out in a roasting pan (spread them out in a thin layer, do not crowd them). I roasted them at 400 for 50-55 minutes. I stirred them every 15 minutes or so. For the last 20 minutes, I added a whole head of garlic with each of the cloves peeled.

Here is the final product:

I crusted the outside of the pork loin with generous amounts of salt and pepper, rosemary, coriander, and crushed garlic. Finally, I drizzled the whole thing with olive oil.

I grilled the pork loin for about 6 minutes on each side.

Delicious Supper:

The root vegetables were delicious. I swear they tasted like they had been sweetened with something. Next time I will probably leave out the roasted red pepper. The flavors of each of these vegetables shines through without being overpowering. This dish did take awhile to make, mostly because of the chopping and peeling of the vegetables.

The pork loin is one of my staples, it is delicious, flavorful and tender. I served the pork loin and root vegetables with some good dinner rolls from the bakery. YUM.

CSA ingredient update: Earlier this week I steamed the bok choi for 10 minutes and topped it with salt, pepper, and a little sesame oil. I served that with left over chicken and some pasta. Last night I blanched the kale for 10 minutes in salted boiling water then seasoned it with salt, pepper, and grapeseed oil. I served the kale with seared pork chops and pasta.

All that is left of the CSA delivery from last week is 3 tomatoes and scallions. I am going to make a pasta with bacon, tomatoes and scallions, but I want to see if I get a few more tomatoes in tomorrow's CSA delivery.
 I also may add some greens depending on what comes in the bag tomorrow.

1 comment: