Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Bacon, Scallions, and Tomatoes Rotini

Tonight's supper utilized two CSA ingredients: tomatoes (both week 6 and week 7 slicing and roma tomatoes), and scallions (from week 6).

Here are all the ingredients for the dish:

1 package bacon
1 small bunch of scallions
4 tomatoes
7 roma tomatoes
1 tsp minced garlic (not pictured, I forgot to include it)
parmeseano reggano cheese

I cut the bacon across the slices  into 1/2 inch pieces. I put it in a large non-stick skillet and cooked it over medium heat. Be careful not to fry the bacon or over cook it. You don't want it to be crunch or too darkly cooked. DO NOT DRAIN THE BACON. The bacon grease makes this sauce fantastic.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to directions on the box.

Then I washed and sliced the scallions:


Then I turned the heat down on the bacon to a simmer. I added the scallions and the garlic to the bacon at this point:

Then I washed all the tomatoes, cut the ends off, and cut them into one inch cubes:

Then I added the tomatoes to the skillet and turned the heat back up to medium. The heat will melt the tomatoes and create plenty of liquid. I bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer it until the pasta is ready. When I have made this dish in the past, I sometimes add spinach or a green leafy vegetable at this point. I bet bok choi or joi choi would work well.


When the pasta is cooked and drained, mix the pasta well with the tomato sauce. Then serve with the parmeasano reggano cheese grated on top:

No comments:

Post a Comment