Tuesday, November 16, 2010

CSA Week 7

I picked up another heavy bag from the CSA delivery today!

In the bag:

assorted hot peppers
medium green bell pepper
medium winter squash
large bunch of scallions
medium bunch of carrots
medium bunch of collards
big bag of assorted hierloom and cherry tomatoes
small bunch of radishes
small bunch of turnips
4 roma tomatoes
3 slicing tomatoes
cilantro

Tonight I used all the tomatoes along with the tomatoes from last week in a pasta. That dish will get a separate post tonight. 

Wednesday and Thursday night I have late meetings and will not be able to cook. However, I have plenty of leftovers from last night and tonight's suppers to carry me through the week.

Sunday afternoon or evening I want to make a carrot cake with the carrots. I have not done any baking with the CSA ingredients yet, and it is definitely time. Plus, baked goods present another opportunity to freeze food.

I admit, there are some ingredients that I am struggling to come up with different ideas for (beets, turnips, radishes). One ingredient that has been plentiful in the CSA deliveries that I have not gotten sick of are these delicious hierloom and cherry tomatoes. I have not done much fancy with them, but they are so darn good in just a simple tomato salad.

We have house guests this weekend. Two of them love to cook. So, I may let them decide what to do with some of these ingredients.

I will probably eat the bell pepper raw again during lunch one day. I also may prepare the collards with apples recipe from a few weeks ago, because it was delicious.

No mystery vegetables this week, but if you have ideas for new and different things to do with the turnips or radishes, post them below!

No comments:

Post a Comment