Saturday, November 6, 2010

Roasted Beets and CSA Update

I made these earlier this week from last week's CSA, but never did get to post it here.

Remember, I used the beet tops in mixed greens last week. So I had these big beautiful beets left over.

The ingredients used were beets, salt, pepper, and olive oil:


 I cut the ends off the beets, and washed them. Then I generously salted and peppered them. I placed them in foil, and drizzled olive oil over them:

Then I closed up the edges of the foil package and placed in the roasting pan:

I roasted them for 45 minutes at 375, then took them out of the foil and easily peeled them with my fingers. In the end, they came out very pretty:


This was a very simple and very nice recipe. A great side dish that I will certainly make again. The beets were sweeter and milder than when I boiled them.

As for this week's CSA delivery, I re-created this supper from a few weeks ago: Fillet with Joi Choi, tomato salad, and whipped potatoes. It was delicious. The only change I made was that I added some Parmesan cheese to the potatoes for a little more flavor. As a side note: this upscale looking and tasting meal took me exactly 45 minutes to make. This includes washing, chopping, and peeling. Just sayin'.

Tomorrow night we will have squash cakes, not sure what else. Tomorrow I will also get around to blanching and freezing those green beans from this week's delivery.
Monday night I will make Pork Chops or Chicken with Swiss Chard and a Turnip mash.

Tuesday brings another CSA delivery. It will be week 6 which puts us half way through this CSA season. So far, nothing thrown away, one thing frozen (green beans from this week), and not a single catch-all soup has been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment