Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Carrot Bread

I finally got around to using the carrots from CSA week 7 to make a carrot bread tonight.

Here are the ingredients:


3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs
1 pinch salt
1 cup grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

The first thing I did was peel and grate the carrots. This was a hug hassle and took 45 minutes to peel and grate 1 cup of carrots. Part of the problem may have been that these carrots are so small and thin.

Then, in a large bowl, I beat together the sugars and the oil. In a seperate bowl, I mixed together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Then I sifted the flour mixture into the sugar mixture and beat them together on a low speed a little at a time. In a seperate bowl, I beat the eggs, then slowly added them into the batter until the batter was well mixed. Next, I added the vanilla and hand mixed it into the batter with a wooden spoon. Finally, I hand mixed in the carrots and pecans. I put the batter into a 10 inch non-stick loaf pan (I did not grease it since it was a new non-stick pan), and baked it at 350 for 60 minutes. Here is the finished product:

We will have this for breakfast over the long holiday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment