Thursday, October 21, 2010

Squash Cakes

Tonight, I made Squash Cakes and paired them with left over dishes from earlier in the week: Sauteed Swiss Chard and Beets, Apples, and Pears. Seriously. Delicious. Supper.

The Squash Cakes used patty pan squash, summer squash, zucchinis, and onions, all from the CSA.

 I worked from a recipe I have made several times before using zucchini only.


Ingredients:

3 tiny patty pan squash
1 tiny summer squash
2 tiny zucchini
4 small long green onions
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp mayo
1 egg lightly beaten
2 tbsp vegetable oil
salt and pepper

I have butter pictured but I decided to use vegetable oil at the last minute instead.

First, I washed the squash and zucchini, then I used a grater to shred them. I took the shredded bits and wrung them out between two paper towels to try to get the excess water out.  This made just under 1 cup of shredded squash and zucchini.

Then I sliced up the root part of the onions very thin and added them to the shredded squash and zucchini:

Then I added the egg, flour, parm, mayo, salt and pepper and mixed it all up thoroughly:

Next, I headed the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Then I added the batter, making patties with 2 heaping tbsp of batter at a time:

I cooked the patties for about 3-4 minutes on each side:

The brown up nicely, will fill your home with a great smell, and they taste FANTASTIC.

I paired them with leftovers from CSA dishes made earlier in the week for a very nice supper:

What is not pictured is that I ate all 5 of the Squash Cakes by myself, along with the Swiss chard and beets, apples and pears. The baby just could not leave those last 3 Squash Cakes in the fridge for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment