Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pulled Pork BBQ with Sweet Potato Fries and Strawberries



Tonight's supper had no CSA ingredients, but I have had several people ask me for this recipe in the past, so I thought I would go ahead and write it up.

I made pulled pork in the crock pot. The ingredients are simple:

Pork
Onion
BBQ Sauce


For the cut of pork, you can use a shoulder, a boston butt, or what I have here, a pork loin top loin roast. The kind I buy is a little more expensive, but it has less junk in it and it is lower fat. I buy this at Costco. This one was 6.75 lbs. I have also made this recipe with this cut of meat but from  the grocery store that was 2.5 lbs. I personally have found that since this recipe takes awhile to make, you might as well make a bunch of it and freeze it.


I cut the strings off the pork roast and put it in the crock pot whole. I sliced the onion and put it around the pork roast. I also added 3/4 cup of water. Then I put the top on and cooked the pork on low for 8-10 hours. No need to stir or turn, just leave it be.


Then I took the pork out and put it on a large plate. I discarded the onions and the juices left in the pot and washed the pot out (let it cool a bit or it will crack). I scraped the visible fat off the pork roast. Then I pulled the pork with two forks. This process will take awhile and is tedious, but it is totally worth it.....stick with it!


Then I put the pulled pork back in the crock pot and mixed in the BBQ sauce. I personally prefer to use Melvin's mustard based BBQ, but whatever your preference is will work just fine. You might even get ambitious and make your own. Regardless, at this point I thoroughly mix the BBQ sauce in so that all the pulled pork is wet throughout. Then put the top back on and cook for another 4 hours on low. Stir well every hour or so and be sure that the sides don't burn. I serve the BBQ on a whole wheat bun to convince myself that this is not too unhealthy.


I bought these sweet potato fries frozen from Costco. I bake them at 350 for 25 minutes. The only thing I put on them was salt before baking. They are delicious and nutritious.

The strawberries are not from the CSA, but they were on sale at the grocery store yesterday.

In the end, we had a delicious meal:




The pork freezes really well. It is one of my tried and true recipes. This pot will probably get us through Christmas.
Tomorrow's Supper: Fillet with Joi Choi, heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad, and red potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment