Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cheeseburgers with Radish Chips and Green Beans

Tonight's Supper used 3 CSA ingredients: Green Beans, Radishes, and Lettuce

We buy our hamburgers from Costco, they are frozen sirloin burgers and they grill for about 4 minutes on each side. They are low fat because they are high quality meat and they taste great. These burgers were served on whole wheat buns with lettuce from the CSA.

The green beans were deliciously simple and easy. 
First, I washed the beans:

Then, I cut the stringy ends off:


Finally, I dropped the beans in boiling salted water and boiled them for 10 minutes.  Then I drained them, salted them and served them. Green Beans are one of those veggies where the freshness really pays off. These had a great taste.

I first tried this Radish recipe last week. This time I made some revisions to the recipe. I cut the leaves and stringy roots off the radishes and washed them. Then I sliced them thin. Next I put them on a plate with a paper towel underneath. I seasoned them with garlic salt. This time, I let them sit for 20 minutes to get the water out:


Then I pressed a paper towel on top of the radishes to get more water out. Next, I sprayed a cookie sheet lightly with Pam. I spread the radishes out on the cookie sheet. I baked them at 400 for about 20-25 minutes, flipping them over once. They came out great. Most of them were crispy, and even the ones that were not super crispy were still not soggy. The flavor was fantastic!

In all, we had a lovely meal with side dishes so much healthier than french fries or commercially produced potato chips. 

On a side note about CSA ingredients: We have had so many cucumbers I have kept cucumber water in the fridge for the last week. Surprisingly, my husband LOVES it. He has requested that we keep some kind of flavored water in the fridge all the time. It is usually very difficult to get my husband to drink enough water, so this is an unexpected benefit to the CSA membership!

No comments:

Post a Comment