Tuesday, October 5, 2010

CSA Week 1 Delivery

The CSA Week 1 Delivery arrived today! This was my first time participating in a CSA, so I had no idea what to expect. I couldn't wait to get home, unpack my bag and see what treasures and culinary adventures lay within.

When I did get home, I unpacked the bag and this is what I have:
3 cucumber
1 lemon cucumber
12 mixed cherry tomatoes
8 leaves Italian basil
2 small butternut squash (the farm said to let sit one week before eating)
1 gallon ziplock bag of mustard greens
1 small bunch joi choi
8-10 radishes
12-15 beets
3 patty pan squash
2 small eggplant



At first I didn't know the patty pan squash were edible, so they were not in the first picture I took. After a little internet research, I figured out they are more than ornamental, so I went back and took a picture of them.



I googled most of these ingredients to try to figure out how to use them. The easiest thing would be to throw most of this stuff in a salad, but I feel like that is a cheap way out.

Here are the decisions I have already made:

Next week I will caramelize the butternut squash. I found this recipe online that I will use as a rough guide:
Cube the squash, Toss in melted butter, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Roast on a cookie sheet for 45-55 minutes at 400 degrees.

Friday night I will stuff the cute little patty pan squash with bacon, onion, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese.

Tomorrow night I will boil the beets for half an hour then simmer them with some apples I have on hand.

The eggplant are very small. I think I will cut them thin, brush them with olive oil and seasonings, and grill them. Then put them on a sandwich. I will use some of the tomatoes on the sandwich and some of the basil in the olive oil. 

I already had two cucumbers, so now I have 5 cucumbers and 1 lemon cucumber! The baby books and the doctor all say I should be pushing water like crazy, so I decided to make cucumber water to make it a little tastier. Here is a picture:


If you have any other ideas for how to use the radishes, greens, joi choi, or anything else, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment