Friday, October 8, 2010

Pork Chops with Peach Chutney, Mustard Greens, and Stuffed Patty Pan Squash



I finished the gallon of cucumber water I made Tuesday, and I still have 3 cucumbers and a lemon cucumber left in the fridge, so I made a gallon of lemon cucumber water. It is really good. The lemon cucumber tastes very similar to a regular cucumber with a little less bitterness and a little more citrus flavor.



My husband came home last night, so tonight's supper is the first for two.

The CSA ingredients used in this supper were 3 patty pan squash and a gallon bag full of mustard greens.

In the stuffed patty pan squash I used:

3 slices of bacon
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tbsp Parmesean Cheese
1/4 onion
3 patty pan squash (from CSA)



First, I cooked some bacon.



I set the cooked bacon aside on a paper towel and kept half the bacon grease in the pan and put half the bacon grease into another pan and set it aside.

I boiled the patty pan squash in a shallow pan of water for 10 minutes.



Then I cut the tops off the patty pan squash and tried to scoop out the insides. This did not go as planned and some of the squash began to fall apart.



I diced a quarter of an onion and the squash tops and insides. Then I added the onions and squash back to the bacon grease pan. I simmered the onion and squash in the bacon grease for about 5 minutes.



Then in a small bowl, I mixed the onion, squash insides, crumbled bacon, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, and 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese.



I then added the stuffing mixture back into the squash by the spoonful.




I had alot of stuffing left over.



So, I decided to make a tiny squash casserole.I added an egg and 2 tbsp of milk to the leftover mixture, then coated the inside of a ramekin with Pam and added the new casserole to the ramekin.



I think next time I do this, I will just cut out the stuffed part of this recipe and make the whole thing a squash casserole.


Then, I put the ramekin and the three stuffed squash into the oven at 350 and baked it for 20 minutes. The stuffing browned up well.



Ingredients for the mustard greens:

mustard greens (from CSA)
salt
pepper
crushed red pepper
bacon grease



For the mustard greens, I washed them and spun them out well. Then I boiled them for 6 minutes.
In the reserved bacon grease pan, I added salt and pepper and 2 dashes of crushed red pepper. I took the boiled mustard greens and added them to the bacon grease pan. I heated them over medium and mixed the bacon grease well with the greens, cooking them for about 3 minutes more.



I have not talked much about my meat purchases since so far the focus of this blog has been the CSA produce. I buy nearly all of our meat at Costco. They have beautiful big pork chops at great prices. I buy them, and cut them in half (they are HUGE) then freeze them in sets of two.  I seasoned these with salt and pepper, a dash of garlic powder, a dash of cumin, and a dash of crushed red pepper on each side.



I browned one side in olive oil, then turned the pork chops over, turned the heat down to low and covered the pork chops. I let them cook for another 5-7 minutes.



Where did the peach chutney come from you ask? The grocery store. I have made chutney in the past, but I do not currently have any on hand. The peach chutney I bought was made in SC and is delicious. It really livens up pork chops or chicken.


In the end, a delicious supper for two with a left over mini squash casserole to eat tomorrow!

Tomorrow: Non-CSA related supper. I am making pulled pork BBQ in the crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment