Thursday, December 2, 2010

CSA Week 9

This week, we ended up with a bigger share from the CSA (long story how that happened, but yeay! more fresh veggies!). Here is what came in the box:

Big bag of cherry tomatoes
small bunch of collards
2 medium acorn squash
2 green bell peppers
dill
red hot peppers and jalepenos
beets
turnips
carrots
3 large kohlrabi

Last night I made the collards to go with some BBQ I pulled out of the freezer and slapped on a bun. I also added a serving of whipped sweet potatoes that I had in the freezer. Super easy quick dinner. I did not do anything fancy with the collards, just blanched them for 10 minutes in salted boiling water and seasoned them with salt, pepper, and grapeseed oil.

I never did get to post the Turkey Soup recipe. I ended up making the soup in a rush on a weeknight, and forgot to document what I was doing. However, I will share this: I hand shredded all of the left over turkey from Thanksgiving and put it in a stock pot. Then I added 3 large cans of diced tomatoes with the juice, 2 cans of corn (not drained), 2 cans of black eyed peas (not drained), 2 cans of lima beans (not drained), 1 can of chopped carrots (drained), and 3 bunches of joi choi from the CSA. I also added 3 chicken bullion cubes, salt and pepper for seasoning. I brought the soup to a boil and let it boil for about 20 minutes, then I simmered it for 2 or 3 hours. We had dinner two nights, and I froze 8 more dinners out of this pot. I would have preferred to use more fresh and less canned veggies, but I was in a hurry and had limited energy levels for cutting, washing, and peeling. I still ended up with a very nutritious quick dinner option in the freezer, which was the whole point.

Tonight I am roasting 3 acorn squash (2 from this week, 1 from last week). That recipe will be up soon.

Tomorrow night  I will make a roasted root vegetable medley with the carrots, beets, turnips, and kohlrabi.

Saturday night, while watching the big game, we are going to have make your own pizza night. So, Saturday during the day I will make whole wheat pizza crusts, and I will use the cherry tomatoes from last week and this week to make pizza sauce. I am sure I will have sauce leftover, so I will freeze some. I will document this process and let you all know how it goes.

I gave away all of the hot peppers again (I know, I am a chicken, maybe I will be more adventurous next time).

Also at some point this weekend I will make a large batch of butternut squash soup. I only have one very very small butternut squash from the CSA, but Publix has had huge butternut squash on sale, so it is time for me to make and freeze some soup!

I also have some ambitions of baking this weekend, but we will see where the energy level is by Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment